It's that time again - time to start prepping our skin for the warmer days ahead!
With the inevitable arrival of double-digit temperatures, it looks like we will soon be foregoing our heavy sweaters, wool socks and winter boots, in favour of lighter layers, skin revealing pieces and toe-showing sandals.
Until now, if you're like many people, it's been "Out of sight - out of mind". With our feet and limbs tucked into warm layers this past, cooler months, we often don't notice the neglect our skin has endured until that warm Spring day arrives and we wish to wear short sleeves, shorts and sandals ... yikes!
Through the "Brrrr-Chilly" months, skin can become dehydrated, overheated and undernourished, leaving us with dry, itchy skin, rough spots and a lack of youthful glow.
The good news is, it doesn't take long to see that soft and supple skin re-emerge. Start now, and together we can prepare your skin for the "big reveal" in the near future. Naturally ... Purple Essentials is ready to help!
Steps to prepping your skin for Spring:
Part 1: Before we get to topical ways to prepare our skin for Spring - let's go right to the most long-lasting and effective way to help skin look its best ... NUTRITION!!!
Nutrition is a key element to healthy skin - Spring is an ideal time to revamp our dietary habits - detox our bodies/skin and increase our energy. Here are some helpful ways to begin prepping your skin for Spring:
- Drink herbal teas - this helps to increase hydration in your skin and organs while helping to detox your body.
- Drink green tea - substances known as catechins, which are found in green tea, can stimulate the body to burn calories, in-turn decreasing body fat while helping your organs to detoxify your blood. These same catechins are also rich in anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties, thus giving green tea added benefits.
- Try a specific detox blend - personally, I recommend Pukka Detox Tea - (organic aniseed, fennel & cardamom tea: to cleanse & revive).
- Drink plenty of clean and pure water - this helps to hydrate your skin and organs. Water is essential to skin's regeneration and metabolism, helping produce new skin cells as well as growing hair follicles. Visible brightening that you can see in your skin after consuming water is a result of transported nutrients and increased circulation that that water in your body creates.
- Sip ginger tea twice a day - following a meal. The ginger will help to relieve bloating and boost digestion so your body works more efficiently.
- Drink hot water with lemon juice in the mornings - it will help to keep you hydrated and the vitamin C it offers will help convert toxins into a water-soluble form that is easily flushed away.
- Increase your intake of fibre and fresh fruits & vegetables - Spring is an easy and economical time to increase your fibre and nutritional intake by taking advantage of increasingly available supplies of fresh, green vegetables and fruits. Make the most of the lush growing season - find fresh asparagus, baby greens (like spinach) and strawberries. If possible, try adding organic foods to your diet. The fewer toxins and pesticides in your food, the less residue left for your spleen and liver to process, and the healthier your skin will be.
- Incorporate skin-healthy foods into your diet.
Up next: Part 2 of Spring Skin Prep ... Our Specialty - Facial Care and Cosmetics
Want to stay current with what's going on at Purple Essentials, including the latest tips and offers? Then please take a moment to sign up for our newsletter - welcome to the family!
Back to News