Such an easy and effective way to keep your skin looking and feeling its best - this could easily turn into a Sunday evening ritual.
Treating your skin to a tea steam facial will result in some wonderful skin and self-care benefits - Pull back your hair, lean over a pot or bowl of steaming herbal tea and enjoy this luxurious DIY steam facial. Steaming your face helps open your pores, making it easier to remove environmental residue and congestion from your skin. By creating your own DIY steam with herbal teas, you choose which ingredients you are using and inhaling (enjoy this added aroma-therapeutic bonus). You can use single teas or create your own herbal tea combo ... I always like to set a little mixture aside for brewing a cup to enjoy while relaxing after my facial steam 😉.
A few TEA options:
Green Tea – rich in tocopherols, ascorbic acid, flavonoids, antioxidants, carotenoids and selenium. Green tea is a wonderful choice for a healthy glow.
Rooibos – works well for skin suffering from acne. It has antibacterial, antioxidant, and immune-modulating properties. These provide protection against free radicals and any harmful damage to the skin.
Peppermint – antioxidant and anti-fungal properties that help to prevent oxidative damage to the skin. Helpful in balancing oil production and stimulating circulation (also helps to clear sinuses and stimulate senses).
Jasmine – with its beautiful scent, actually has antiviral and antibacterial properties to keep your immune system healthy. It can help prevent the signs of ageing and soothe skin conditions like eczema and acne by reducing oil production and balancing hormones.
The options are really endless here - mix and match to your pleasure. You can also throw in rose petals, herb leaves, lemon slices, orange slices, and/or drops of your favourite essential oil to really customize the experience.
- Create your beautifying tea combination as above (approx. 2-4tbsp.).
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Select which tea you’ll be using and add to your water. You may use loose or bagged tea, but I recommend pouring the contents out of the tea bags because it's mesmerizing watching the dried petals and leaves floating around.
My favourite blend mixes 1 packet or a tablespoon of chamomile & 1 packet jasmine green tea with 2 drops lavender essential oil and 2 slices of lemon. These specific ingredients create a deep cleansing, soothing and skin-balancing steam that has a very relaxing and uplifting aroma - heaven!
- Once your water is boiling, add your special ingredients and remove from heat and allow to steep for 5 mins before you begin your herbal tea steam.
- While your brew is steeping, prep your skin. Gently remove any makeup or creams you are wearing and secure your hair back from your face.
- When the brew has steeped, set your hot pot on a towel or pour your herbal tea water into a heat-safe bowl and place it on a sturdy surface that you can easily pull up a chair to.
- Cover your head with a towel and lean over your pot/bowl. At first, try to keep at least 12 inches between you and the hot tea—the steam should not sting your skin. As the steam becomes cooler, you may lean in closer. Your steaming time can last anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes.
- Don't forget to breathe deeply, experience the aromatherapy of your DIY handpicked blend of teas. Let everything else go and embrace your very own Spa treatment.
Applying a facial mask following your steam helps you reap the maximum benefits for your efforts. Think of your skin like this - moist skin is like the soil after a light rain—more absorbent to nutrients and treatments. Our Recommendation - this the perfect time to use Purple Essentials' Refining Mask.
To enhance the full DIY facial experience and increase skin's hydration, take a few extra moments to gently massage in your favourite moisturizer. Our Recommendation - antioxidant-rich Facial Elixir and/or Rejuvenating Serum to best hydrate and moisturize your soft and supple skin.
Best to do this home spa treatment before bedtime, as it is so relaxing. Be advised that it can also leave you looking a little flushed, due to the increased circulation promoted by the steam and massage. But you will be smiling in the morning when you awake fully rested, with a pampered, healthy glow 😊
Live pure and simple - Live Purple!!